Friday, June 6, 2014

Stop Doing Origin Stories in Movies

First off, I am not against origin stories in general especially for new characters no one knows.

For example, late next month, Scarlett Johansson has an awesome looking movie called Lucy.

(If you haven't seen the trailer, your should)

I don't know anything about this character so an origin story is a good idea.

My beef stems from origin stories of established characters.

I am sick of sitting through stories of how Batman's parents died or how Spider-man got bit by a, well, spider, obviously.

We all know the stories.

It's actually just lazy writing, and most writers know that so they try to add new and unusual elements to be clever.

Case in point: Man of Steel.

The story of superman is simple: Krypton is dying, Jor-El and his wife, Lara, know this and send their son Kal-El to Earth to save him where he's raised by John and Martha Kent.

There is no reason to change this, but the writer of Man of Steel decided to add some stuff about cloning and natural birth that just becomes ridiculous.

When it comes to comic book reboots, just tell a new story.

I don't need another retelling of how it all started.

Next I want to talk about the upcoming Star Wars Spin-Offs.

We are being told two of them will focus on Boba Fett and Han Solo.

There are people speculating that these will be origin stories, and I am hoping that's not the case.

I don't want to know the origin story of how Boba Fett became a bounty hunter, I want to see Boba Fett being a wicked awesome bounty hunter!!!

Same goes with Han.

Don't tell me how he became a smuggler, show me a great adventure with him and Chewie running from and outwitting the Empire.

We don't know the subject matters of the new movies, but I do know it shouldn't be about their origins.

What are your most or least favorite origin stories in movies? Let me know in the comments.


4 comments:

Sean said...

Nice points. Mind If I link to this article on my Blog? I'm doing a piece about The Dark Knight Returns.

Unknown said...

I would be honored, Sean, thank you.

Unknown said...

Sure

Unknown said...

Thank you for asking